Monday, August 2, 2010

Day Twenty-Four -- Hospice


I'm not certain my title for this post is correct. It might be more aptly titled Death and Dying.

Either way, I have had death on my mind for a number of years now. I lost both parents and a good friend in the past four years and am currently visiting as frequently as possible one of my best friends who has a terminal illness. It's not easy and it is incredibly sad but at the same time I feel very privileged to be part of her life before death. She knows the score and her grace in such a terrible situation humbles me. And despite her dire circumstances, there aren't many people in the world that I enjoy as much as her. I will miss her and I will grieve. I never would have thought anything like this would happen to such a wonderful person. And yet I'm being taught something every time I visit her and every time I talk with her. I am gaining something from this horrible time by sharing it with her.

My conclusion is simple, I have an interest in working with terminally ill people. Maybe this is pointing me in a direction I need to go. Hospice work? I don't know. Whatever this tragedy is showing me, it has not yet completely formulated in my mind. I'll know at some point, but all I know for certain is death does not scare me and helping people who are terminally ill is something that I would feel honored to do.

1 comment: