Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day Fifteen -- Vintage Photos

I recently saw some long lost photos of D-Day and they were so emotional it was hard to look at them. Pictures really are worth a thousand words.

I've been collecting vintage photos. I don't really have a favorite time period though it's funny to realize my childhood photos are actually vintage. It's fun to see the people but also fun to see what surrounds the people such as the photo below:

I wonder what happened to the children in this photo. Were they sisters? Neighbors? Best friends? Did they grow up, marry, have children of their own? Did they save those dolls to pass onto their own children?

And what is the story of the people above? It's nice that this photo has writing and to know this was taken in San Francisco. But I wonder about the Chinese man and the white lady. They don't really look like they know each other or that they even want to know each other. What is their story? And what the heck is she wearing? Why was this photo taken? A tourist posing with an actual "Chinaman"?
I think the child above is a girl, mainly due to her shoes and the little bit of hair I can see. It must have been Halloween, duh. I'm puzzled about what that mask is all about. But I like seeing the All-American neighborhood in the background. Where is it? There are too many questions with all these photos and no answers.

One thing I've learned in looking at these is it's important to label all photos. We think we'll remember who everyone is and where they are and what the date is, but in reality, memories fade and the people who knew the answers die and the surviving photos become mysteries.

My parents are gone but their photos survive. I don't know the stories behind each photo and it makes me sad. But I still love looking and knowing that every person who is now gone had a life that was meaningful, had people who loved them and thought they were the most important person in the world. Even if the photos become mysterious with the passage of time, there was a reason they were on earth even if I will never know exactly why.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures! I would love to pin a couple, but would like to get your permission first. Thanks in advance.
    Lizel

    ReplyDelete