Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day Three -- Chocolate Cake


Day Three's topic, chocolate cake, was chosen simply because I'm hungry. And I love chocolate cake. And I have decided to eat more of it. So there.

Yep, that's my resolution. Life is too short not to have as much chocolate cake as possible. That said, I can't remember the last time I had a piece mainly because I don't like bakery chocolate cakes. Only homemade will do and I'm pretty lazy in the baking department unless there is some occasion or other.

Happily, I have a wonderful recipe that has stood the test of time. It came from the back of the cocoa can ages ago and it's a really good one that I will share with you. Yum-O as Rachel Ray would say. And I only say it to bug my daughter who is not a Rachel Ray fan.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake from the Cocoa Can
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 round or one rectangular pan. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Remove from mixer and stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into pan(s). Bake 30-35 minutes, (40 minutes for rectangular pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

One Bowl Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (from the cocoa can too!)
6 tbs softened butter
Cocoa - 1/3 cup light flavor
1/2 cup medium flavor
3/4 cup dark flavor
2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

In small mixer bowl, cream butter, add cocoa and sugar alternately with milk. Beat to spreading consistency. Additional milk maybe be needed. Blend in vanilla. Makes 2 cups.

Enjoy! Yum-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment